Sunday, April 5, 2009

More about bees...

My dad is a beekeeper (among the many other hobbies he has). He has had honey bees since before I was born. Recently he has started rescuing bee swarms from people's homes - that would otherwise be killed by a terminator. Honey bees are actually becoming a little scarce and a law was recently passed making it unlawful to kill a honey bee.

Yes, the female honey bees (regular looking bees) sting, the male bees (drones that are a bit darker than the females) do not, and the queen bees (longer body that looks like the females) rarely do, but can. Sometimes, there are some rather mean and aggressive bees - these could be related to the African bees and should be killed (law or no law).

Eating the local honey from the local pollen around you is the best way to keep yourself rid of allergies. There are all sorts of ways to rob the hive (get the honey) - one that I prefer is to be wrapped from head to toe in a thick suit, gloves that come up to my elbow, and net bee hat. A smoker can be used to blow smoke on the bees that make them fat and hard for them to sting. My dad on the other hand can walk up to a hive, lift the top box, pop out a frame and grab some honey comb. He doesn't mind being stung - bee stings are actually really really good for your circulation and joints. The bee stings are actually being used to help MS patients! I have yet to purposely sting myself like my parents do!

My dad has a certain way to attract local bees (with a cone type bee catcher with a queen bee) for a backyard hive. We are currently working on his web site and hopefully have it done soon for all the other beehive hopefuls out there! I hope to have the hive in the backyard once the yard is complete...I don't want to scare off my husband from completing the yard with a bunch of bees flying around. Oh another tip...point the opening of the bee hive up against a fence, so they will go up and over the fence (and bee the neighbors problem)! : )

4 comments:

  1. im excited to see your dads website. this is such a cool part of nature and gardening that's new to me. thanks for the information!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So does your dad sell his honey?

    I actually went to a bee keeping seminar last year - it's very interesting and seems like a good hobby. Hopefully when we get our land we'll be able to set some hives up.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really want a beehive. Anyone know if there are any regulations against it? Would it be dangerous for the little ones to have it in the yard?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Greetings, ATB, and kudos to you on your amazing homestead/gardening/beekeeping vision and activities. Thanks for sharing your knowledge and experience with those who, like me, are complete bee-dummies (however appreciative we may bee!).

    Your dad’s swarm rescue sounds like an especially valuable—and much-needed—service. Maybe we could have used it last summer? We had a swarm perched high up in our pecan tree, and were advised by the city to leave it alone to see if they would leave by themselves. We felt rather inadequate in this response, knowing there are serious concerns about the dwindling bee populations these days, but were ill informed as to what more pro-active options we had, and who might be interested in finding a home for those bees.

    A few days later the bees were gone. After a few more days, a neighbor’s dog was swarmed by bees that were later found sequestered in the unrepaired exterior wall of their home! The situation required an evacuation by the fire department. I can't remember whether or not the poor pooch survived.

    I don’t know enough about bees to say it was the same swarm, but it sure seemed more than a coincidental event. Is there anything better we could have done with our swarm? Will your dad include this part of his work on his website? I only wish the city had referred us to someone like him at the time for further consultation and information.

    I look forward to hearing more about your own beehive, and seeing your dad’s website. I also really appreciate reading all the health-related tidbits about bees and local honey. The recent bestseller "The Secret Life of Bees" included a fair dose of this bee wisdom. Any reflections on that book (which I enjoyed) or the subsequent movie (which I have not seen)?

    Thanks again, & Blessings
    Suz

    ReplyDelete